DFW WordPress 101 Training
Presented by Sandy Norton of SLEEN Group
This class is designed for the WordPress™ beginner, or those with a little experience. When I started working with WordPress™ a little over two years ago I was a total novice. I’m not a programmer nor a developer. However, I found that WordPress™ suited my needs and have since built over 35 sites. Maybe not the most sites ever, but considering where I came from, that’s pretty awesome. Today I build sites for clients who either want a new website built completely in WordPress™ or already have a site and just want the blog added on to it. I love WordPress™ because it gives me the ability to build something that my client can maintain without having to learn how to program and it is wonderful with social media. Together they are a powerful tool for any size company.
Understand the needs of a beginner is important and I do. I have a heavy training background and have developed online training, face-to-face classes and taught them as well. I worked for a couple of major corporations in developing courseware and training clients on how to use software and business equipment. This background experience, coupled with my marketing/sales background gives me an insight to understand what a business needs.
WordPress™, when used with social media properly is the most powerful platform on the market today.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals wanting to learn WordPress™ best practices. Using WordPress™ 3.0 +
- Business owners or employees responsible for their company’s website.
- For those who need a site but have little no money to hire someone nor do they have programming experience
- Individuals considering WordPress™ for your next project.
- Know how to install WordPress™ in the simplest way
- Understand the WordPress™ dashboard and how to use it (Customize it for yourself easily)
- Understand what a basic theme is and how to install them (what makes a good theme?)
- Understand what a plug-in is and how to install them (how to search and recognize what is a good plugin)
- Know which plug-ins should be used for all sites and why
- Learn how to create a page (and create a static website if desired)
- Learn how to create a post (blog post)
- Learn how to upload images (and manage them)
- Understand basic WordPress™ SEO from the beginning
- Understand how Social Media and WordPress™ work together
Our ultimate goal is to have you leave with the ability to setup your own WordPress™ site.
Training will include:
- Basic overview of WordPress™ terminology
- Basic overview of the installation of WordPress™ (we can’t cover all hosting companies but will show the major ones)
- What’s on the Dashboard or admin interface and how to customize it for your use?
- Where to find themes, installing themes and what to look for in a theme
- What are plug-ins, how to install them and must have plug-ins for every installation
- Creating pages in WordPress™
- Creating posts in WordPress™
- Uploading images
- Integrating your Social Media
What this training is not:
- No programming tweaks will be shown…remember this is for the beginner
- A class about basic computer skills. Knowing your way around a computer should be fundamental before taking this step
What will be available at the venue:
- Free Wifi
- Tables and electricity
- Water (we will not be providing food as part of our fee but orders can (and should be) placed from the menu with individual tickets.
- We will be using an overhead screen with live internet demonstrations as well as screen captured demonstrations.
- You will leave with a DVD showing some of the basic things your will need to get going.
WHEN: Sunday, October 17
TIME: 2:00 PM to 6:00 PMLOCATION: Dave and Busters 8021 Walnut Hill Ln Dallas, TX 75231
Cost: $47.00 for 4 fully pack hours of knowledge
FEE INCLUDES: WiFi, 4 hours of solid training. You will be given a DVD covering some of the more fundamental topics we covered.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING: A desire to learn, paper and pencil. A laptop is nice you have one, but it is not required.